St. Francis College power past St. Kieran's College to claim First Year Boys Cup



Nevin the hat-trick hero for Roco

Bank of Ireland FAI Schools First Year Boys National Cup Final


Friday, May 11, 2018


St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny 1-4 St. Francis College, Rochestown

Robert Ring (41)                                                                                                           Harry Nevin (31, 32, 48 pen), Colin Henderson (44)


Harry Nevin was the hat-trick hero yet again as St. Francis College, Rochestown (AKA Roco) powered past St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny to take the Bank of Ireland FAI Schools First Year Boys National Cup in an action packed decider at the AUL Complex yesterday (May 10).

Nevin’s three goal haul was completed either side of the Cork side’s crucial third goal from Colin Henderson after St. Kieran’s had cut the deficit to a single goal.

A cagy opening half remained scoreless with neither side giving very much away at the back.

Nevin was posing a big threat up front for Rochestown and St. Kieran’s skipper Bill Smith had to come to the rescue after his goalkeeper Bill Hughes failed to hold a stinging shot from the Douglas Hall player.

Padraig Murphy did get in to test Hughes but this time the St. Kieran’s net-minder comfortably held the effort.

The game had a dramatic opening couple of minutes to the second half as immediately after the resumption Nevin struck to fire Rochestown in front with two goals in as many minutes.

The first came after Henderson, the son of the on-watching Cobh Ramblers Manager Stephen, showing great vision to pick out Nevin’s run into the St. Kieran’s box

The pass was perfect and the Rochestown striker was able to take a touch and fire in a thundering drive past the helpless Hughes.

Nevin went on to double the lead a minute later after a defensive mistake allowed him to take control of the ball and coolly round Hughes and steer it into an empty net.

But St. Kieran’s showed great fighting spirit and responded quickly by pulling a goal back when Robert Ring curled in a beautifully flighted free kick from close to the left hand touch line well out of goalkeeper Ryan Delaney’s reach.

Alex Sheridan might have levelled the tie but after getting the better of centre back Kevin Lyons his final effort was out-side the post.

The impressive Henderson then stretched the Rochestown lead with a crucial third goal after he found himself unmarked at the far post and neatly placed the ball past Hughes following Harry Flanagan’s free kick.

Rochestown were clearly on top at this stage and Nevin quickly added a fourth goal from the penalty spot to complete his hat trick after an unfortunate hand ball by Matthew Kelleher.

The Kilkenny crew were then handed the chance of a second goal when they were awarded a penalty at the other end following a foul on Fionn Cody by goalkeeper Delaney.

But the Rochestown ‘keeper redeemed himself by getting a strong hand to Ring’s spot kick to deny Kieran’s a consolation second goal and the Cork side went on to claim their first win in the competition at this level since 2013.

ST FRANCIS COLEGE ROCHESTOWN | Ryan Delaney, Derry Howard, Kevin Lyons, Shane Tobin (Captain), Luis Dwan, Miceal O’Mahony, Colin Henderson, Harry Flanagan, Evan O’Connor, Padraig Murphy, Harry Nevin
SUBS | James Fox, Cian Buckley, Daniel Apantaku, David Buckley, Evan Collins, Sean Moore, Jack Tierney, Eoin Murray, Donnacha O’Callaghan
TEACHERS | David Donovan & Patrick Croke


ST. KIERAN’S COLLEGE, KILKENNY | Bill Hughes, Jack Aylmer, Shane Glynn, Matthew Kelleher, Bill Smith (Captain), Billy Dowling, Killian Doyle, Pauric Kirwan, Alex Sheridan, Michael Raggett, Robert Ring

SUBS | Brian Whelan, Conor Dooley, Anthony Ireland Wall, Andrew McEvoy, Sean Keenan, Fionn Cody, Matthew Durnan, Diarmuid Greene, Jimmy Maher, Ben Moore, Frank Noukeu

TEACHERS | Tom Brennan & Paddy Kelly


REFEREE | Brendan Clarke (Dublin)